Monday, January 23, 2012

Travel Time

The journey to China was incredibly unreal.  Through the whole flight I couldn’t believe I was actually doing it and now that I’m here I just keep thinking – I did it!
Somehow Mom and I managed to cram the basic necessities for the start of my journey into 3 bags: 1 carry on, 1 full of clothes, and (cuz Mom is such a nurse) 1 FULL of pills.









The first leg of the journey was getting to DIA.  Once there Mom and I lingered near the security gate where I made a few quick last minute phone calls then took even longer to say goodbye to my precious iPhone.  Mom and I managed to part and I made it all the way through the security line without tearing up, but then of course she popped up in a window on the way down to the train and that was it for me – I’ll remember that smile forever. 
After riding to the train I found my gate and my plane to Detroit.









I was so delighted to find out that I had a seat because I was flying standby.  Close friends helped me get the ticket and it ended up paying off big time in the end because I got to fly first class on the 14 hour ride from Detroit to Beijing on this plane.











Once situated in my cocoon, flight attendants served drinks and handed out menus.  After takeoff my meal was served.  What is considered to be delicious airplane chicken was served, along with a couple other courses.  I got to watch a movie through dinner, after that I slept very nicely on my chair which reclined out all the way into a bed (this is seriously the way to travel if you have to be on a place for over 12 hours).  After my 6 hour nap, another light meal was served and before I knew it we were preparing for landing.  I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the Great Wall on our way into Peking International but it was too dark and smoggy that evening.  I did see some really awesome fireworks though on the way end (obviously they were celebrating my arrival).



Stepping off the plane I was instantly introduced to China and felt so inspired.  I could not be more excited that this journey has finally begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment